Saturday, June 07, 2008

End of Year 2.

Alhamdulillah and I am glad that year 2 is over now. Reflecting the journey, it was certainly not a path to return back to due to the challenges that everyone in my group including myself had to overcome. The term ended with my poster presentation on Diabetes. In important times like the presentation, time is certainly priceless. 10 minutes went by in a blink of an eye, but I managed to present it well, controlling my nerves, and that deserved a pat on my shoulder. Everyone did well. Everyone should be thankful to Megan for standing up to gather us altogether and discuss how we should "Act" during the presentation where we would prepare questions and as if it was a "pop" question during the presentation. Hence, we all came prepared and it was excellent! Everything was well organised, and the environment was certainly very conducive. Having said that, we certainly couldn't avoid the questions from the lecturer.

I prepared my question on how Diabetes may affect joints? Well, I had this idea whilst I was treating a patient in the consultant room (another proud moment I had) where Diabetes was discussed. It was Mr McInnes who introduced me to "the positive prayer sign", to see any joint stiffness in the joints resulted from process of glycation / glycosylation. The same principle to HbA1C which is the glycosylation of haemoglobin. In joints, it affects the joints cartilage. The second factor is where neuropathy occurs in the foot of diabetics, it disrupts the pain perception, hence, predispose the bone to weakness causing it vulnerable to breaking. Once broken in neuropathic condition, one would just continue weight bearing, progressing deformities and alteration of anatomical position such as declination of talus. This results in the rocking shape of the foot, predisposing / exacerbating ulcerations = neuropathic ulcers. Poor nourishment to the musculoskeletal structures may also predispose this breaking vulnerability. Such would be due to AV Shunting, causing haemostasis and hyperaemia which reduces oxygen level, and inreases the CO2 level = poor nourishment to tissues.

Whaha, well the above is kind of a synopsis on how I answered the lecturer's question!! Hence, me being happy.

After the presentation, we had a BBQ gathering arranged by Angie and Martin. I was knocked out to sleep after the presentation, and unable to make it. Many dropped me calls and texts where I was. Feeling guilty, I thought I would have to make it regardless if it means coming late. Angie called as I replied the text and I swooshed my way to Martin's crib on a taxi that instant. Weather was brilliant, and most made their way home already. There were few left and we had a good chat, reflecting our journey from Year 1 to 2. It was good indeed, and certainly deserves a "facebook moment". Well it used to be known as "KODAK moment" ahaha

So now I can look forward to go home!!!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: