Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Bonfire night at Lewes.

Last night was a great night. I always wanted to see the Bonfire parade at Lewes. It's a famous place for a massive parade and huge burning area in the middle of the town. I didn't get to go last year as I was busy with work. This year however, I was determined to see it live. I asked Megan if she wanted to come along as she went to the last year's parade, and which she commented as a great one. Then, I also asked Shahin if he wanted to go along, and apparently, he had already decided before hand to go by car with two of his other friends. Apparently, the town will be shut after 3pm for cars to enter, and I told him to just get on the train. So I was caught in the middle then. Who should I go with??

So as positive as I was, I trusted Megan, plus it's being in my own group, we took the train and left at 6.47pm. There were me, Megan, Angie, Martin, Therese', Phil, Matt, Tristan, Jane and Cat. Arrived at Lewes after 20mins being in a packed full of people in a train. Tristan even had to sit on the train's table. The slow diesel train was no help at all.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

The moment we stepped foot at Lewes, there were already flocks of people moving towards the same direction. We had to walk closely amongst each other as we didn't want to lose anybody. *BOOM* came the first explosion. We were already proximal to the parade site. Too bad, being short, I couldn't go any further and see what's ahead of me. Plus, there were thousands of drunk people around fighting, and what's not. Imagine, if someone were to fall, that's it mate, you're done!

But I must say, logistics that night was incredible. Police officers, ambulances, paramedics were almost everywhere. Martin was kind enough to offer me a lift on his shoulder, but I said no. 15mins later, after tons of booming sounds of explosives, the parade ended. We then had to slowly moved forward against another crowd from ahead. Suddenly, an explosion exploded near Angie and we were very close to her. Gosh, that gave me a bang in the ears. Scary indeed. But that was just the beginning. Apparently, in a bonfire parade, sounds of explosion and fire are what it was all about. Need to be careful, certainly not for the weak hearted. Wonder what it's gonna be like for "gigiran" people back home??

We then headed towards the Bonfire fireworks and finale area. But then, we thought we might do a quick pub crawl within the 30mins. Pubs were all full everywhere, so we ended up to one of the famous pub outside the town. It was also pack, but we got our orders immediately. As I was sipping through my drink outside, someone lit a "bang" just right behind me. Gosh, that killed my ear badly!!! On general observation, the town was like being in a war situation with riots (from parade where people dressed up in a scary manner eg pirates, undertaker), with all the breakages, dumps, bombings, just horrible state!

Later then we arrived at the Bonfire area and to find out, it was going to be delayed another 30mins. So we split into groups and do whatever then come back to that spot in half hour. I was accompanying Therese' to find a toilet at one of the pubs. On our way out, there was another parade that went on. So thought of stopping for a bit and see as we were first in line, besides, we couldn't go any further. Suddenly, Angie and Martin knock on the pub's window. We went in and enjoyed together in the comfort of the pub. What a small town!!!!

Then came the time for bonfire, where all the fire carried by people in the parade will be thrown into a huge pyramid of wood stacks, followed by blastings of explosives that potentially could make you deaf! It was great to see how a tiny fire initially could grow into a huge massive flame in just matter of minutes. The pattern of flame was just amazing, the smoke resembles the pattern of a hurricane. The heat was just incredible. In the cold early winter, I could just strip off!!!! And as a result, my lips are now still dry and my face hurts from the burn. Mind you, we were very very far away, just enough for our eyes to see the fire.

The fireworks nevertheless, were just so magnificent and amazing!!!!

We headed the train station in a crowd just before 11 and to find out the next train leaves at 20past. We waited, and chatted amongst ourselves on how much we have enjoyed it.

In the train, once again, it was pack. But now, worst!!!! People were drunk, loud and hooligans were basically around. Too bad, my coach was indeed filled by lunatics! 10mins of the journey, a fight was initiated basically behind me. Commotion went on for about 5mins. People suddenly came out with words like.. "oh shit, this is not good", "fights in the train... I don't like this". There were also people who then curious and decided to watch it closely. Imagine that pack now! These people were fighting just behind me and my shoulders were basically moved by their bum actions and all. One of the guy seated next to me said.. "shall I raise the alarm now?". His mate then said... "Don't worry, I'm sure they'll stop at Polegate". (Polegate was just 5mins away and is a rough town). True enough, half of the group got off the train.

From Polegate, another fight occurred. This time, the alarm was raised. As a result we had a delay at Berwick for about 10mins until problem was rectified. Too bad, the fight didn't end. We had to continue the journey up until Eastbourne with people fighting in the coach.

At Eastbourne, Matt was kind enough to give me a lift nearer to my home.

On overall, it was a great night indeed. I was so phobia looking at sparks of lights, smoke and fire that night!! That was just funny indeed. I will not hesitate to go again next year, but I am sure, I will be elsewhere doing external placements.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

No comments: