Saturday, January 24, 2009

End of Semester 1 - Year 3 / Orthotics error!

As always, I struggled again in making this particular casted insoles. They were so complicated (well, it was then) but I made it in the end with perfection and everyone was impressed including the tutors. However, as a good clinician, one should never ever be complacent. Hence, at 2am, I realised something was not right. I remember palpating and concentrated so much on the patient's left foot rather than the right as that was the problem. I looked for my picture files, the temporary insoles I had given the patient earlier. DAMN ! I said to myself. I got it the other way round!! Made my night sleepless and I rushed to the Leaf 2 hours earlier before my rota so I could get it rectified and sorted. Here they are...

This is the wrongly manufactured! Gosh, I can't even differentiate left and right!?? This orthotics are made to put the rearfoot into neutral at the subtalar joint and which should help with the patient's forefoot varus which caused him to pronate. With the forefoot extension 2nd to 5th post to sulci, this helps to reduce the functional pain that the patient experiences on the lesser MTPJ's during gait as a result of hallux limitus. Hence the 1st MTPJ cut out.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Took ages to think, prescribe and understand the biomechanics.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Now this is the correct one!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Today's my last day of the semester. Next semester will be our very last semester. I have exams coming up and essays to submit. Currently working on a ever so difficult case study that requires so much thinking. Anyway, clinic caseload was great this afternoon and it went smoothly. In the evening, we gathered at the student common room for Irish coffee at Maura's farewell. She was with us for a semester for re-registration as a Podiatrist after she left the profession for quite sometime, and now she's returning to practice. She's from Ireland, and such a lovely lady. Her presence will certainly be missed.

My Irish coffee and cupcake.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Chinese New Year tomorrow, year of the Ox! ehehe... Happy Chinese New Year everyone!!

Oh oh... placement soon!! yites..

No comments: