Monday, September 15, 2008

Chendol

Yes, I'm finally back in the Bourne but not quite as I'll be away on placements.

So, cendol is really a good thirst quencher especially on Fasting month like now. Being in the UK and Eastbourne especially, finding Asian foods are not as easy as elsewhere. But nothing could stop me! I ventured out to town, and hey! Not only I found the ingredients for cendol, I found curry leaves, cincau, wantan wrappers, fishballs, sotong balls!! Gosh, these were the foods that I had been craving for the last 2 years! If only I knew they existed here previously, I wouldn't have to suffer!! And even more, they're just opposite my house!

So, cendol is no exception being hard to find, worst explaining them to the retailer! Couldn't stand any longer, I decided to make it my own!!! Heheh I even had to buy the utensil (potato ricer) for bloody 10quid!!! Back home would be like 1/10th of that price perhaps? Anyway, today, I made it. Tired and overwhelmed with the placement and arrival arrangements with the Brunei Students unit in London, I finally made it!

Oh, I didn't even use exact measurement. It was all based on instinct, taste and fun of trying. Didn't work at first as I thought the texture was a little raw. Then I put it back into the pot and add more water and let it simmer even further. Great ending indeed!!

Don't have gula melaka, I had to substitute it with Damerara brown sugar, and it tastes the same!!

voila!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: