Saturday, February 10, 2007

The day I got a hair cut and I cut my patient!

It's my first day of clinicals for the semester. (06th Feb 2007).

I was paired with another colleague of mine. This time we were already treating patients on our own and supervised from a far by lecturers. This is to get us to work autonomously from now onwards. Lemme share...

Disclaimer: the case study below has no mention of names of any particular person(s). I hope the information below will not be violated. It's part of my learning and reflection too. Thanks.

Case Load:
      • 81 year old female referred by her GP for Diabetic Podiatric care at Leaf for many years now.
      • Socially, an active lady who enjoys swimming at the university’s sports centre’s swimming pool.
      • Had history of trauma due to motor vehicle accident and had surgery on the ankle of R/F done in Portugal. So far no complaints after surgery.
      • Medical History Background:
        • Diabetes Type II – NIDDM with diet and exercise control only.
        • Hypertension treated with several anti-hypertensives including Aspirin. BP reading on the previous month was 130/80 mmHg (normal high reading for hypertensives).
        • Allergic to Penicillin.
      • Clinical Note:
        • S – I cut and file my nails but with difficulty as it’s hard for me to bend down and reach my feet. I only file my foot soles to smoothen up the hard skin. I noticed my skin on both legs are dry which I applied some moisturises every now and then. I also use foot spray.
        • O – O/E, skin integrity feels warm with pinkish colour and dry skin. Pulses (DP and PTP palpable). Feet are not symmetrical, R/F presents with hallux valgus with little discomfort when wearing appropriate footwear. On the plantar aspects of both feet, callouses mainly present at the head of 1st and 5th Met. head of B/F. Nails are short with evidence of poor cutting.
        • A – Nails cut and filed with blacks file and diamond deb style files on B/F. Debris removed from sulci with help of Hydrogen Peroxide. L/F 5th toe bled during cutting – patient informed. Wound cleaned with irrecleans spray and applied sterile melolin and tubigauze. Callous debrided on BF.
        • P – Advised pt to keep dressing intact for 24 hours and to contact the hospital if problem arises. Advised to apply moisturiser for dry skins on both legs. To see again in 11-13/52.
Yes! I cut my patient. Well it's not really bad, cos everyone will actually experience. It's just like going to the dentist having your mouth for scaling. Surely your gums will bleed isn't it? Besides, my patient was comfortable and happy. She assured me it was alright. However, it was my first time and really got upset by that. I however did not show how panic I was. Thanx to my nursing experience by which I experienced more bad happenings than that. But it's just that legislation wise made me nervous, worse than I had experienced in Brunei!!

Oh well, it was a learning processs. But on a positive note, my scalpel handling and skills were excellent. The lecturer was pleased that the job done was even better than a Yr3 could do.

That ain't stop me from going forward!

Following that, I was feeling soo much in my chest that I had to do something. Headed town and I was soo irritated by my long hair looking so "gorilla-ish". Went to Buzz and made an appointment. An hour later got my hair cut! ehehe.

So tada! will intro you to the new me alright!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: