Thursday, January 25, 2007

The day I was an ambassador?

Oh well, on the day of portfolio submission a friend asked if I wanna join them taking new prospective students for a tour at the university and the hospital. Well I thought, why not since I wouldnt have anything to do in the afternoon.

We started off at the open day talk session which this friend and I didn't get to witness since we're miles away back home. She's Canadian.. it was fun nevertheless to see how things are. Next was to wander around uni... ahhah god knows where we were heading to! But definitely will end up at the cafeteria. I was already hungry but I didnt have any change or cash with me. I only had copper and BIG note. So I told my mate that I'm off to the nearest town to get some cash. That was around 10mins to go and come back. Withdrew 10quid and that's all I have then in the wallet. haha I dont keep large cash with me. Only in the card. Went to the shop got myself some bananas and sandwich. I changed my mind from buying the foods at the uni... it's that awful cod they had.

Arrived at the cafeteria and met Phil with his group as I was about to sit and settle. One of this students came and asked "do the cafeteria accepts card?" I replied "Nope, only cash, that's why I had to run to town to get some". So everyone was lost and suddenly said.. "oh.. i dont know what to do..." and just sat down and eat. I felt sorry for that kiddo. He came all the way from London since morning around 9 in bad winter weather, "no money" to buy food and he'll be long around until he reaches home. I thought, hey I could be him awhile ago. So without hesitation, I asked "will you be at the Leaf Hospital?" He nodded and said yes. I loan him my only 10quid and told him he could use that and pay me after his interviews.

Then at the table, one of the lecturers posed "hey you guys did a good job taking the tour, you should be the uni ambassadors, it's a paid job!" "we all in curiosity and agreed!" ahhaha. So basically .. we're ambassadors of the uni now! hwhaha.

Oh with the money, yeah he paid me on his way at the train station. 3 of my mates and him walked down to the station in the terribly cold windy day!

Oh at the hospital - I was doing a tour just for this guy and his dad! ahaha. The rest had to do whole bunch! whahaha.

So their feedback:
- excellent facilities, good library.
- hospital modern, in good shape and flawless.
- lecturers were excellent.

well when they asked about what is there about the uni that you dont like or wished it was ? Our reply were the same which was "nothing.. it's the best!"

Their thought were:
This university is impressive compared to those we went.
Most of them hated East London University. They only have 4 chairs whilst we have 21 plus the extras!!! ahaha.
The same to most of the uni.. and Uni of Brighton was the top. And it has been said as well in terms of Podiatry course, it's not easy to grant entry. Hehe.
I was relieved to hear and thinking that hey... I made the right choice!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the above I learnt that actually I'm taking the risk of people taking things for granted and tend to be soo dependent. But I always have this idea, if you do good to others sincerely, good karma will serve you good too. Imagine yourself in the shoe being in trouble or hardship... You see, he's hungry and yet you'll be eating feasting infront of him, that's "cannibalistic" in my dictionary. But doing the above made me happy... besides it's helping another muslim brother. I know I shouldnt be talking about these in public, but it's sumthing we could ponder upon. Treat others the way you want others to treat you. besides all what we;ve got now is from HIM. It does not belong to us totally. Do it as long it does no harm to yourself. With good intention, God will always pay double (beloved Mom's quote)

No comments: